Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Promise Fulfilled -

Today God blessed us with the most beautiful day. We awoke to the bluest skies and soft ocean breezes. The ride over the bridge to the Navy base and to the U.S.S. Utah Memorial was memorable. The Memorial is a true tribute to the men who died on this ship during the attack at Pearl Harbor. We were met by Mr. Taylor, an honor guard and a Navy Chaplain. Mr. Taylor paid tribute to my father in true Navy tradition. My dad was a true hero and a man who served his country well in World War II and the Korean Conflict. He and his six brothers served in the Navy during World War II and were honored in the Congressional Record of Honor. It was hard for me today because it was like burying my parents twice. The Naval Honor Guard gave my dad a three gun salute and taps was played. The flag was at half-mast at the Memorial. Chaplain, Lt. Dennis Kelly, delivered a wonderful Christian service after Mr. Taylor told of my dad's service career. I was given the flag and three of the shell casings from the three- gun salute. John and I placed mom and dad's ashes in the waters by the U.S.S. Utah's remaining hull. Dad's ashes were taken by a gently moving current towards the wreckage of the ship and mother's joined his. At long last their ashes are where they wanted them, where they began their life together some 67 years ago. Promise fulfilled dad..........with honor and love for my hero.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! It gave me chills. I'm so happy that they are finally resting where they wanted to be. You are a good daughter to make sure that their final wishes were carried out.

    ReplyDelete